43 Random Facts About Canada
Random facts about Canada acquaint you with everything interesting about the country. Canada has a lot to offer in terms of unique landscapes and picturesque sites. It is always vibrant and each city is full of great places to see and an extremely friendly crowd that makes your trip all the more pleasant.
Here are some interesting random facts about Canada.
1. Canada was the home of Aboriginal people for almost millennia; they were the ones who evolved trade, spiritual and social hierarchies systems.
2. These civilizations were long gone before the arrival of Europeans.
3. Newfoundland was officially the first place in Canada that Europeans invaded yet it didn’t become a province until 1949.
4. Canada was a French and British colony for centuries and the first step to independence begun in 1867.
5. The British Province of Canada became Canadian Confederation and Government of Canada came into existence on July 1, 1867. This day is now called Canada day
6. Canada became fully sovereign in 1982.
7. Due to its history, the nation has two official languages; English and French.
8. Elizabeth II is still the official monarch of Canada.
9. United States Of America invaded Canada twice, first in June 1775 and then during the war of 1812. The invasion was a failure.
10. Canada is the second largest country in the world, right after Russia.
11. Baffin Island is the largest island in the country and the fifth biggest island on Earth.
12. Mount Logan is Canada’s highest mountain that continues to gain height due to tectonic activity.
13. The largest freshwater island in the world, Manitoulin Island, is also in Canada.
14. It also has the longest coastline of any country in the world at 151,600 miles.
15. The oldest rocks on earth, roughly 250 million years older than any other rock is in Canada.
16. The country has a number of lakes which are so large that 563 lakes can cover larger than 100 square km area.
17. The U.S/Canada border is the longest international border in the world.
18. Ottawa is the capital of Canada.
19. The term Canada is an Iroquoian language word which means village.
20. The North-American Beaver is the national animal of the country.
21. Canada is the biggest nation in North America with a total of 10 provinces and 3 territories.
22. The country is rich in flora and fauna and home to large animals like the moose and grizzly bear. It also has 55,000 species of insects and 11,000 species of mites and spiders.
23. It is also the most educated nation in the world with half its citizens holding college degrees.
24. The world’s first Olympic museum is in Canada.
25. It also has the biggest oil reserve in the world after Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.
26. Canada is also the biggest consumer of macaroni and cheese.
27. The population of Canada is 36.29 million in 2016. That’s fewer people than Tokyo’s metropolitan area.
28. The nation has a diverse population with people of all religion and faith including Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Sikhism. The dominant religion though is Christianity.
29. A Canadian named Dr. James Naismith invented Basketball.
30. Other important inventions done by Canadians are the electron microscope, the electronic organ, insulin, the IMAX film system, the snowmobile, and the electric cooking range.
31. The currency of Canada is the Canadian dollar.
32. The country is one of the biggest economies in the world with the 10th largest GDP.
33. Canada has 172 billion barrels of proven crude-oil reserves which is the third largest in the world.
34. It has an unemployment rate of 6.6%, an inflation of 1% with 12.9% of the population living below poverty line.
35. The country is the leading producer of gold, nickel, aluminum and crude oil.
36. Furthermore, the other important industries are transport, timber, paper products, natural gas, fish products and chemicals.
Other Random Facts About Canada
37. Canada is the origin place of the Hawaiian Pizza.
38. Many famous authors are from Canada including Lucy Maud Montgomery and Alice Munro.
39. The country is the major producer and consumer of cheese. There are at least 32 varieties of cheese produces annually with Cheddar being the prominent one.
40. The origin of Winnie the Pooh begins in Canada as one of its famous black bear called Winnipeg inspired A.A. Milne to write the famous stories for his son.
41. The Canadian Province of Alberta has been rat free for 50 years.
42. You cannot legally carry product for personal protection against another human being such as a pepper spray in the country.
43. Playing cards were once a substitute for coins due to shortage of currency in Canada.
These are some random facts about Canada and if you happen to know more of them then do leave us a comment down below.
Other Country Facts – 51 Random Facts About the USA